Friday, March 19, 2010

London: Part 6 (National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, Downing Street, the London Eye)


NOTE: Even if you do not read this one, be sure to look at the pictures at the end!  They are some of my absolute favorite!

After the market, we headed over to the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square.  I had heard rave reviews, but until you see the sheer volume of famous artists and artwork housed in this FREE museum, it is just not believable.  (Small side comment, the only thing we actually ended paying for in terms of admission was the London Eye, we did it so smartly!)  There was Monet, Manet, Velasquez, Pisarro, DaVinci, VanGogh, Degas, Renoir, and pretty much anyone else you could ever look for.  It was breathtaking.  We tried to focus our attention on the eras that we really enjoyed, but even that was an extensive collection.  Again, no pictures, but here is a picture of the building, a work in itself.


The National Gallery is located in Trafalgar Square, which is an incredibly popular tourist destination for people around the world.  However, when we were there, they were pre-celebrating St. Patrick's day, so the place was packed!  We did not get very many good views as a result...but look how many people!



On our way back across the river, Meghan realized we were passing Downing St, which we had wanted to see anyway.  This is the street where the Prime Minister lives, and is just down the street from the Parliament square and adjoins with other important buildings of offices that I now can't remember the name.  Obviously there is extreme security, but I took a picture of the gates along with the 15 other people who realized what they were looking at!


Finally, we get to the meat of this entry: The London Eye.  I had never heard of this particular attraction until Meghan and my beloved guidebook both brought it up.  But it was absolutely my favorite part of London, and well worth the money that we paid for it.  It is this huge carousel type thing, with cars that hold about 25 people, and it moves very slowly until you can see all of London stretched out before you. 

See! Look how high it goes!  It goes to a height of 450ft, and is the largest observation wheel in the world.
  
All 25 people getting onto our capsule.  You only had 45 seconds to do it!  Rush, rush!

The capsule in front of ours.  There are 32 capsules in all!


Pretty amazing view!


Just stunning!


Meghan and I!

I know these all start to look the same, but I was just in awe of the views!

After the London Eye, we went to find the George Inn, which was recommended in our guidebook.  Apparently, food in England stops getting served extremely early (a stark contrast from our late dinners in Spain), so we missed the food at the Inn and had Chinese food instead (which was delicious).  But we went back afterwards and had a pint of English beer at an English pub!  So typical and fantastic. 

The George Inn.  I was actually carded for the first time ever!  Then I was almost not allowed to get anything. The bartender asked for my ID and then told me it was not a "real license" because it was not "properly laminated."  I have never been so indignant haha.  Yes, it was not a European driver's license, so I could understand if they didn't accept it, but to call it not proper and real: the nerve!  Luckily I had my passport, so it really wasn't an issue.  

Almost done! Last one: Westminster Cathedral, and some comments on traveling and England in general.  

It was featured in Charles Dickens' "Little Dorrit."

1 comment:

  1. Just plain "Wow!" I do not believe how many sites you have managed to jam into your few days.

    ReplyDelete